Friday, August 1, 2008

The FAQs of "Always Home and Uncool"

Q. Who are you?

I'm Kevin McKeever. I'm a Gen Xer, a writer, a husband, a dad, a dog owner, a goofball, a drinker of beer, a friend to all gins, a recovering journalist, a laid-off corporate communicator, a lot more rock 'n' roll than country, a New Englander and a poor harmonica player. Did I mention I'm a goofball?

Q. How long have you been at-home dad? Was it your choice?

Following a move in June 2004, I became a full-time corporate telecommuter. When I was laid off three years later, I became a freelance writer and editor -- again working from my home full time. Both choices were mine. My wife travels a lot for her job and we needed the flexibility of having someone home for the kids, and I jumped at it. I love working from home and being able to be there for the kids when they need me.

Q. What does your family think of your blog?

My wife likes it because it lets me unleash my sarcasm on someone other than her. My daughter knows I have a blog but isn't into reading so I'm safe for a few more years. If it's not on his Nintendo DS or Cartoon Network, my son could care less.

Q. Why do you refer to your wife as My Love?

As someone who grew up on Warner Bros. cartoons, I took her nickname -- affectionately --from the Daffy Duck short "The Henpecked Duck":



Q. How many kids do you have?

Two: A girl (Thing 1) and a boy (Thing 2). Don't worry -- I get their nicknames mixed up on occasion, too. Think of Thing 1 as My Little Diva and Thing 2 as Excitable Boy. In fact, I might eventually change their names to that.

Q. How many dogs do you have?

One -- a yellow Lab named Murphy (sometimes referred to The Murphinator or Poopy Puppy). Before him, we had a yellow Lab named Kiner (rhymes with "finer"). I'm still trying to give him a proper burial.

Q. Why is Murphy the only one using his real name?

He's part publicity hound.

Q. Who is the person in your blog header?

He is actor Skip Hinnant portraying The Boy in The Electric Company skit, "Love of Chair," from the earlier 1970s. Easy Reader was cool, but The Boy was definitely Uncool -- like me. Skip, BTW, was the voice of Fritz the Cat in the first-ever mass released X-rate cartoon.

And that's a generic "B" on his cap, not a Boston Red Sox logo.

Q. Where did the name and tag line of your blog come from?

A. Both come from this scene in the movie Almost Famous:


Q. Do you really say "frick,""frickin'," and "freakin'" instead of choicer f-words?
Most of the time, yes, because I try not to swear around my kids. I'm not a prude. I used to work in a newsroom and I attended a Catholic high school so, in a pinch, I can out-curse most of you.

And yes, I do drop more Gs than Sarah Palin on a bender at Saks Fifth Avenue.

Q. What is your e-mail address?

AlwaysHomeandUncool (at) gmail (dot) com but in a real e-mail address format, not that anti-spambot format I just typed it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis